Sunday, October 7, 2012

Stuffed Turkey. NOT a Thanksgiving Dinner...


Maybe I've been watching too many Food Network shows lately or something, but I've recently become obsessed with stuffing things. Stop it.  Inappropriate.  Anyway, MOVING ON...

I made a huge batch of my tomato basil sauce the other day (the recipe is on my blog), and I've been trying to think of what I can use it with.  Then, it occurred to me that I had two packages of ground turkey in my freezer; so, what do I do?  I decide to make some turkey meatballs.  Then, I take it one step further.  I stuff them.  Ohhhhh yeahhhhh.


Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Meatballs

Ingredients:

-2 lb. ground turkey breast
-2 eggs
-1/4 c. Italian seasoned bread crumbs
-1 t. paprika
-1 t. Herbs de Provence
-1 T. fresh basil, finely chopped
-1 T. fresh oregano, finely chopped
-1/2 t. crushed red pepper
-1/4 c. parmesean cheese
-1 t. garlic powder
-1 t. onion powder
-1 c. shredded mozzarella
-salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients, except for the mozzarella cheese, in a large mixing bowl.  Do not overmix, but make sure all ingredients are blended together well. The mixture should make about sixteen decent-sized meatballs.  I find that it is easiest to roll the mixture into standard meatballs first, and then, using your thumb, poke a hole into the center of the meatball.  Place about a tablespoon of shredded cheese into the center of the meatball and spread the meat back over the hole to seal. The meatballs should bake on a greased cookie sheet for about twenty minutes at 350 degrees.  After twenty minutes, take the meatballs out of the oven, and allow them to rest (you can check for thorough cooking at this point if you'd like).  Enjoy them with your favorite pasta, sliced up in an omelet, or on a bun for a delicious sub.  I really recommend topping with my tomato basil sauce. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment