Sunday, January 6, 2013

Could It Really Be?? Turkey, Apple, and Brie?

Wow!  So, it has been FOREVER since I've posted a new recipe up here.  Sorry guys.  As a teacher, it seems as though I fall off of the face of the earth between October and January.  Add on top of that an upcoming bridal shower, Vegas Bachelorette Extravaganza, and a wedding, and I would say you have one crazy, but excited girl on your hands!  Anyway, back to the food, which is why I'm sure you are visiting my blog...

I am a baby, and at anything less than 60 degrees, I freeze.  Conversely, I despise temperatures over 85 degrees.  Yeah, I know what you're thinking. "Why on Earth do you live in Arizona, then?"  Trust me, if I didn't absolutely adore my job, I wouldn't live here.  I'd be in SD in a heartbeat!  Speaking of Cali, I was oddly enough inspired by Diego for my latest creation.  No, it's not sushi, the latest juice craze, or a seafood specialty.  When I say I was inspired, I mean I was inspired to get back into the swing of things in the healthy eating and exercising department!  I'm down about 30 pounds since August (slow, but steady), and I fell off the wagon just a bit during the holidays.  Overall, I did well, but now it's crunch time!  I have a gorgeous bridesmaid dress to fit into on March 15th, and the Vegas festivities take place on February 7th.  Needless to say... It's GO time!  :) 

The premise of this recipe is super simple:  hearty, warm, and healthy.  It's roomie approved; so, you know it's got to be good!!! Enjoy <3


 
 
 
Turkey, Apple, and Brie Meatloaf
 
 
Ingredients (serves 4):
 
1 lb. Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast
1 finely chopped Jonagold or Fuji apple
1/4 c. plain bread crumbs
3 individual wedges of brie-style spreadable cheese
2 t. ground sage
1 t. paprika
1/2 t. crushed red pepper
1 t. dried rosemary
salt and pepper to taste
8"x 8" square pan
 
 
First, combine all of the ingredients, with the exception of the cheese wedges, in a large bowl.  Mix with your hands.  Take roughly half of the turkey mixture, and press it into a loaf shape in the pan.  Then, open the three wedges of brie, and line them up in the center of the loaf.  Take the remaining half of the turkey mixture, and place it on top of the brie.  Make sure the completely cover the cheese, and keep the loaf an even thickness to ensure that it cooks properly.  Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.  Then, raise the temperature to 400 degrees, and bake for 10 more minutes.  Always use a meat thermometer!  Everyone's ovens are different.  You're looking for an internal temperature of 180 degrees. :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment