Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Perfect Summer Meal


So, raise your hand if you agree that turkey and sage are a match made in heaven?  Yeah, that's what I thought.  In fact, I thought about it so much that I decided to incorporate both into tonight's dinner.  I make so many different versions of turkey burgers, ranging from Asian-style to hot and spicy.  Perhaps my all-time favorite is what I chose to make today.  I guess you could call it traditional, even low-key.  I call it savory and delicious.  Read below for the yummy and super simple recipe. 


TURKEY BURGERS

Ingredients (4 servings):

1 lb. ground turkey breast (99/1)
1 medium apple, finely diced (any variety; optional)
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 t. onion powder
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. ground sage
1/2 t. paprika
1/2 t. chili flakes (amount can vary depending on desired heat intensity)
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl until thoroughly mixed.  Once mixed, use your hand to roughly score the ground turkey into four even sections.  Take each section of meat out individually, and press into about 1/2" thick patties.  Heat a skillet with 1 T. olive oil over medium-high heat.  Once the pan is heated, place the patties in, careful to not let them touch each other.  Cook for approximately five minutes per side.  The easiest way to check to see if they are done is by cutting into the burger and making sure that no pink is visible at all.  (Just have that burger be yours if you're worried about presentation...) After the patties are cooked thorougly, you're ready to enjoy.  I prefer mine with mustard, but I can also highly recommend a slice of Havarti cheese on top if you can afford the additional calories.  They are tasty either way though. :)









Okay, so every once in a while I manage to genuinely impress myself.  This dessert definitely falls under that category.  My roomie and I were watching, "Not My Momma's Meals" on The Cooking Channel earlier today, and Bobby Deen made a Thai fruit salad that used fresh pineapple.  Since I had literally just bought a pineapple at the store, I decided that I was going to pull off a quick dessert using my all-time favorite fruit.  I opted to go a little sweeter than Mr. Deen did on his show.  Instead of making a fruit salad, I went the broiler route.  I am so serious when I say that this was absolutely phenomenal.  You must try this one out because it is beyond easy, and it is such a fresh, light dessert.  It went from a Southern gentleman doing Thai to an Arizona native attempting her hand at an ever-so-slightly French-inspired dessert. I give it two thumbs up, and I'm not just saying that because it is my recipe. ;)


BROILED BANANAS AND PINEAPPLE WITH VANILLA YOGURT DRIZZLE

Ingredients (2 servings):

2 ripe bananas
1/2 of a fresh pineapple
1/2 c. nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
1 t. Splenda
2 T. brown sugar
1 T. skim milk

Preheat the broiler.  (This recipe also works well on the broil setting of a toaster oven.)  Cut pineapple and bananas into 1" chunks.  Place on a foil-lined baking sheet.  Evenly sprinkle 2 T. of brown sugar over the fruit. Place under broiler for around five minutes.  Keep an eye on the fruit so that it does not burn.  As a precaution, please consider that many broilers work better if you leave the oven door cracked.  While the fruit is cooking, combine yogurt, milk, and splenda in a small bowl.  With a fork, mix the ingredients, using a fluffing motion, almost as if you were whipping up eggs for an omelet.  The yogurt should be light and fluffy by the time you are finished.  When the fruit is done (the sugar will be slightly crunchy), place it in a serving bowl and add a few dollops of the yogurt on top of the fruit.  Serve while warm and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment