Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tomato Basil Sauce With a KICK!




Alright, so, I know that most people tease me because I call myself a mutt.  It really is true though.  I have a little bit of everything in my blood.  There is one nationality that I am lacking though... ITALIAN!  Seriously?  Some of my best recipes are my versions of classic Italian dishes.  What is one of the most important parts of a good Italian meal?  The sauce, of course!  I developed this recipe over six years ago, and I haven't changed it since.  For my friends that are a little wimpy in the spice department (especially my friends from WISCONSIN), this sauce is equally as delicious without the crushed red pepper.   Whether you pair this simply with some al dente pasta, or it becomes a vital element of a chicken parm, this sauce will not disappoint. 



SPICY TOMATO BASIL SAUCE

Ingredients:

- 2 28oz. cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 6oz. can of tomato paste
- 1/2 c. fresh basil leaves, torn
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 T. fresh chopped parsley
- 1 T. fresh oregano
- 1 T. fresh marjoram
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1 t. paprika
- 1 T. sugar
- 1 t. onion powder
- 1/4 t. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 roasted Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped (15 min. at 350 degrees)


Combine all ingredients together.  This recipe can either be cooked in a crock pot for six hours on low, or stove top over medium-low heat for two hours.  Yes, those are seriously the only directions.  ENJOY. 

No comments:

Post a Comment